- Spencer. He always wants me to be happy. He tried really hard to take me out to do something fun on Saturday but the budget-master in me wouldn’t let him. I’m also extremely grateful for his love of the gospel and his daughter. He’s a great daddy and husband and I’m very lucky.
- Anna. The way she toddles around the house carrying a dolly (or shoe, or a pot lid) with a huge squishy faced smile on her face gets me every time. How can anyone be sad with that bundle of sunshine around?
- Family. Yes, I know I’ve already named my “family” above but I’m also grateful for the family members I don’t live with…anymore. Every one of them called me to wish me a happy birthday and I know that they would all do anything for me.
- The Gospel. I still feel very young in this area. But the important thing is that I’m constantly learning. When I start to feel like I know everything, then I’ll be worried.
- The Scriptures. I'm anything but a scriptorian. But I always feel the spirit when I read and I know that they are a great blessing. I am without words to express the joy I feel from the fact that as a Mormon I am blessed with scripture beyond the Bible.
- Health. Yes, I know I’m overweight but aside from that, I’m in good health. I’m strong and resilient and I know that I could go out and run a mile if I really had to. I just need to work up the motivation!
- Friends. Everywhere I’ve lived, I have been extremely lucky to find great friends that are always willing to be my “family away from family”. I am amazed by their selflessness and goodness.
- Roof over my head. Most of you are aware of my never-ending desire to own a home. I longingly ogle at every house I pass with a For Sale sign in the front yard. Alas, this is not something in my cards. So, in my current state, I am grateful for my living situation, even if it feels like I’m back to our student days. It is a great apartment by New York standards.
- Transportation. Yes, I also dream of a bigger car. While visiting with family this past fall and winter I very openly lusted after their bigger cars. It would definitely be nice but I’m thankful for my Toyota Corolla. It’s very reliable and always gets me when I need to go.
- My Husband’s Job. I’m grateful that my husband has stable employment. It is true, you can never know what will come tomorrow but for today, I feel extremely blessed that he has a steady paycheck.
- Food In My Cupboard. Some months it gets a little interesting budget-wise but we never starve. Maybe it’s my mad shopping skills (ha!) but we always seem to have enough to get one more can of formula, bunch of bananas or package of lunchmeat.
- Knowledge. I was blessed to live in an area that had more than decent public schools with teachers dedicated to their profession. Along with this is my love of learning. I think it’s great that I love to research and learn about new things.
- Budgeting Skills. I referred to this earlier but I am very grateful for my innate affinity towards numbers, spreadsheets and “figuring stuff out”. I’m sure my family will find this very funny since I can’t add and subtract without the aid of a calculator. But set me up with an adding machine and Excel and watch out!
- Aversion to Debt. I know this is something rather strange to be grateful for but, it’s true! I consider it a great blessing to be frugally minded. The thought of large amounts of debt makes me break out in a rash.
- Talents. When I sit down and think about it, I actually have a lot of talents. I’m a good cook and baker, I paint pretty decent watercolors, I can read music, play the trumpet, etc., etc. I’m not saying this to brag, I’m saying it because I think we are all in the same boat.
- The Temple. So maybe this is part of #4 but I thought it deserved it's own listing. I gained an intense love for the temple while living in Utah. Spencer and I would attend weekly, rotating through different ordinances. I'm so grateful that we have the Manhattan temple close by. I always feel refreshed and rejuvenated after attending the temple.
- Memories. My husband and my sister both have terrible memories. They have forgotten large parts of their childhoods and in my husbands case, what happened last week! Yes, it can be bothersome but for the most part it makes me sad. I'm thankful for the joy I feel when I think of times gone by and people who have touched my life.
- Eye for Beauty. I'm glad that those things that are aesthetically pleasing are not wasted on me. Sometimes I wish my eye were a little more well-trained but I feel lucky that I enjoy fine art, manicured lawns and good paint jobs.
- Sense of Humor. I appreciate a good joke and quick wit. I'm not all that witty myself but I'm glad I usually "get the joke".
- Appreciation. I couldn't think of a better word for this so, let me explain. I consider it a great blessing that I can appreciate the talents of others and be happy for their good fortune. This was something I definitely had to learn. I remember going through a phase where I could not, no matter how hard I tried, feel happy for another girl when I found out she was engaged (pathetic, I know). But I'm glad that I can now be truly excited for others achievements or good news, without any sense of "what about me".
- Books. I LOVE to read. I really do consider it a blessing that I thoroughly enjoy a good book.
- Sense of Adventure. Okay, within reason. I'm definitely not willing to jump out of an airplane with nothing but a flimsy piece of nylon strapped to my back. But I am willing to move across the country (obviously), go exploring, visit new cities and try new foods...to name a few.
- Staying Home. I'll admit that some days I get insanely bored with the worst case of cabin fever known to man. But all the while I am crazy thankful for Spencer allowing me to stay home. My sister told me that I would definitely choose to be poor than to work (she knows!) and I would have to agree. Nothing can compare to the calm I feel from having complete control over how my daughter is cared for.
- Technology. Living across the country from my family makes me very thankful for such things as blogs, email and cell phones. Even though we can't always see each other, I'm glad we can still feel a part of each other's day-to-day lives.
- Freedom. I think I definitely take this for granted. The fact that I am allowed to go where I please, choose how to worship, what I eat and how I live my life is beyond words. I also have immeasurable gratitude towards those that have what I call, a "soldier spirit".
- The Creativity and Knowledge of Others. I know it sounds kind of strange but I'm constantly thankful for those that are smarter than me. I have my skills and my abilities but I definitely know my limits. Thank goodness for those that pick up the slack!
- Rules. I am and have always been one to follow the rules. I know that most are arbitrary but I'm glad they exist and that most people chose to follow them. I prefer a world with order that I can predict "mostly" what will happen.
- Great Food. Chocolate ice cream, fresh guacamole and chips, donuts, a great burger...these are a few of my favorite things. I am so thankful that the world is full of so many simple pleasures.
- Conveniences. I'm glad I was given the chance to live in a time of electricity, running water and indoor plumbing. I think I definitely take most of them for granted.
- Pain and Heartache. Opposition in all things, right? I'm never happy while in the midst but I'm grateful that I go through hard times so I can truly enjoy the good. I don't think I would have as much appreciation for my dear, loving husband had I not had my heart trampled on a few times.
- Motherhood. I know what you are thinking...she already said Anna, she can't count this. But, this is different, I promise. I am absolutely, insanely grateful that as a woman, I am given the opportunity to be pregnant and give birth. Okay so the labor and delivery isn't the greatest but it's definitely amazing. I think it one of Heavenly Father's greatest gifts that he allows us to be a part of giving life.
Monday, April 28, 2008
31
Today I turned 31. It was a very boring birthday. In fact, I even made a comment to Spencer about it being sad how insignificant the day of our birth gets the older we get. Am I wrong to think that we deserve a party whether we are turning 8 or 98? For various reasons, I've been feeling rather blue lately and the triviality of my birthday just added to it. I was laying in bed unable to sleep and thinking of the things that were upsetting me. So, on this my 31st birthday, instead of dwelling on the bad, I decided to get up and write a list of 31 things I'm grateful for.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Oh Erin. Beautiful blog- made me sniffle a little bit. Happy Birthday- don't be sad; there are so many people whose lives you touch every day, including mine. I love you and miss you and was insanely jealous when you got engaged! So there!
Great List! It is not fair that mine would have to be 5 items longer! I am such a senior citizen!
I'm glad you took the time to remember the great parts about being the age you are! It helped me reflect on the many blessing I have as well. One of them having you as a part of our extended family and can't wait to see you in July! Love you, Amy
What a wonderful way to talk yourself out of being blue. Like April, I had to sniffle a few times.
I'm glad you have such a grateful spirit!
Happy Birthday! See you Wednesday.
Great post! I love that you've found so many things to be grateful for and it's not just a mere list but feelings and explanations for each item.
Happy Birthday! I completly understand when days aren't so great, but it is so true we can feel better by seeing our blessings. I enjoyed your post.
Hsppy Birthday! It is hard to celebrate you birthday somewhere new. What a trooper you are to make the best of it!
Have a wonderful birthday!
What a great way to celebrate your B-day, I hope you guys had fun with the sheep. I am sure people who read this comment will be like, huh...did she say sheep! Oh well I am with you on the insignificance of Birthdays too. For me it has been about 5 years since we have had any moola to do anything fun or special, but Ryan does try. Mostly I am tired of people forgetting my birthday, even my own family. But in the eternal perspective I am grateful for every day I have on this earth with my own little family!
Lynita, we actually didn't go play with the sheep. That was the fun thing I wouldn't let Spencer take me to. Oh, well!
Happy Birthday Erin. I love donuts too. As a matter of fact, I've been craving donuts for a few weeks and I still haven't had one. I don't know if it's good self control or just no time. Probably the later.
Post a Comment