Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inaugural Thoughts

While watching todays inaugural proceedings I had two overwhelming thoughts. I was impressed by President and Mrs. Obama. I thought they were very gracious, classy and eloquent. And just as a friend so stated, our new president deserves our respect and sustainment.

I was however, very unimpressed by sentiments reported by the media. So many are making our new president out to be some sort of savior. He is the same as all other presidents, past and future. Yes, our country is facing some tough times but that doesn't mean that Obama is going to fix them all. In fact, I hope he doesn't! I truly believe that he will try his best, putting his whole heart into the office and doing good for the American people. That alone deserves our respect and reverence, but definitely not our worship.

I know a lot of people were overcome with emotion as Obama took his oath of office. I was not moved to tears until I saw this:

I truly felt sorry for President Bush during today's proceedings. He is a good man. I truly believe, as he has stated in abundance, that he tried to lead with the best interest of the American people in mind. Due to policies instilled by the Clinton administration, President Bush was forced to make very difficult decisions. Those decisions have turned him into a scapegoat for all those in America who don't understand the far-reaching effects of military and intelligence spending, the cyclical nature of the economy and the wisdom in capitalism. I was deeply saddened when I read that distasteful members of the crowd chanted "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye" to our outgoing president as he arrived on the inaugural platform. He may have made mistakes but just like Obama, he's not perfect. Just as our incoming president deserves our respect, so does our outgoing. No matter if you agree with him or not.

Obama was not my pick as president. But as inauguration day closes, I wish our new president well and I ask my Heavenly Father to guide his hand.

7 comments:

Sharlyn said...

I wish I could write as well as you. That was beautifully written. Thank you!

Indiana Haffners said...

That was very well written and I'm still trying to get over my frustration at our Presidential "pick" even though I know for my children's sake I need to hope he doesn't make all the mistakes I'm afraid of!
God Bless America!

Tara said...

I didn't get to watch the ceremonies today but I hopeful for the future and like you, wish Obama well.

I also feel a bit sorry for Bush.

Granny said...

Nicely done Erin. Very well written. I wasn't able to watch...couldn't quite justify it with Kinders.

I'm glad GW was able to leave with dignity in spite of less than gracious spectators.

I love my country and hope for a promising future. I agree, the President deserves and should receive respect.

Jodi Reeve said...

I am shocked at how people have been treating Pres Bush. He has been our president for 8 years and it isn't an easy job and he deserves our respect.

As far as your previous post, I get that way too. I fight it every day, so I literally come up with a plan each day to fight it. For example, today my husband is gone from 4:30am until 9pm tonight. It will be a long, cold day. So, I plan on exercising and taking my boys to the mall to play and walk around. Getting out is something I have to do and exercise certainly helps. Now that I am typing this I think I might invite a friend to come along too. You are not alone!

tweedlediva said...

Good on ya, Erin. I cried when the Bush's got on the plane as well. Such an uncertain time, but we will all feel so much better if we just have a little faith.

Denise said...

Couldn't agree more. Well said.