The other night, Spencer came home quite late. Neither one of us had eaten and weren't in the mood to cook so we decided to order a pizza. Since we are in a fairly small town, most places were closed or on the verge of closing. We called several pizza shops with no luck. Thankfully, Sal's was open. We ordered our large pepperoni and Spencer left a little while later to go pick it up.
When he came home, he said that Sal's was among those businesses that subscribe to the East Coast phenomenon known as "cash only". After digging in his wallet, he discovered that he was short. He asked "Sal" if there was an ATM around. Sal said, How much do you have? Spencer told him and he said, Oh, just bring the rest the next time you come in.
Really?!?!?!? When he came home and told me the story I was stunned. We happily sat down on the floor and started digging into our pie. Not only had the guy given us a break but, it was GOOD!
Oh, and yes, the next day, we took him the remaining $4.00.
8 comments:
That looks like the classic New York style pizza--Delicious! (I definitely prefer New York to Chicago style.)
What a nice guy "Sal" is. But really, cash only? Who does that anymore? I'd be in trouble. I never have cash
That is awesome! Cash Only is hard, but Sal would definitely have my business. That's a place I want to try!
I'd say Sal is worthy of your business from now on.
I still don't understand the East Coast "Cash Only" thing. I carry more cash now, but that would have killed me at your age.
I'm glad it was good, too!
We love Sals pizza, but we usually go to Village Pasta and Pizza, cuz it's right down the street. But apparently Sal's is rather famous around here, several people recommended it to us when we moved in. I can't stand the "cash only" thing, seriously we are living in 2008, aren't we?!
Erin,
I am so glad that you found me!! Yay! Spencer helped us move when Anna was only a few days old so we really did not get to say good-bye. Anna is so adorable and it looks like you are getting settled in to NY. The Jacobsens' are really good friends of ours from dental school. They always talk about some pizza place that is to die for over there in NY, not sure of the name of it but Chrissy knows. I have only heard very good things about your ward, I hope that the three of you are enjoying yourselves and the many things that the city has to offer. Here is my contact info.....nancifarnsworth@hotmail.com and willandnancifarnsworth.blogspot.com
-Nanci :)
Yeah...cash only. It's kind of a pain, but I've learned to adapt. Don't you love, though, the little mom and pop stores who treat you like royalty (with, of course, the expectation of your repeated business with them)? We've got a couple places like that in our neighborhood that I like to go to simply because the owners are great.
Also, if you guys ever venture down to Brooklyn, Brooklyn style pizza is TO. DIE. FOR. So, SO good. And Sicilian style? Also fabulous. NYC has opened up a whole new world of pizzas for me and I don't think I can ever go back.
I love the pizza story and agree that you totally want to give people your business when they are so trusting and easy to please. So, I've noticed you have a different monkey picture than the last time I checked. Seeing how many times people check out your blog:)
I miss Sal's - so many great memories there!!!
Post a Comment