Friday, January 18, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns

I recently finished the book A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I my opinion, this is a must read. For those of you who enjoyed The Kite Runner, you will enjoy this book just as much, if not more. I was greatly touched by The Kite Runner. Although I was aware of the atrocities that occured under the Taliban, I don't think I truly understood until I read the book, following the characters and the changes that came into their lives.

A Thousand Splendid Suns follows the journeys of two young women, Mariam and Laila, in Afghanistan. Their stories are absolutely life-changing. Reading the drama of their day to day life made all the horrors I saw on the news vividly real. I don't think I was prepared for how profoundly this book would impact me.

I have never been more greatful for the blessings that I enjoy. I will think twice before I freely step out my door to go to the grocery store from now on. And, I do not have the words to describe how greatful I am for a husband and family that love and support me. I'm also very thankful for my college education. I could go on...so many things I absolutely took for granted because I am American.

I appreciate the fact that my eyes have been opened.

5 comments:

Jonathan said...

I'm not much of a reader but that does sound interesting.

Tara said...

Oops! That was from me, not Jon.

Granny said...

Looks like I'm going to be heading to the bookstore tomorrow. (I guess I need to get both of them.)

Thanks for the recommendation.

Chad said...

Sounds like a good one.

Lynita said...

I am almost done with the 650 page book I am reading for book club, so I just reserved both the Kite Runner a A Thousand Splendid Suns at the library. Hopefully I will enjoy them as much as you did. Thanks for the recommendation. You should check out my bookshelf on my blog...there is one called Stolen Lives. I think you would like it!