Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mixed Emotions


Well, I did it. I finally read Twilight. I was sick of being the only one alive who hadn't read this book and since I'm planning to see the movie, I decided to get it done. Unfortunately for those true blue followers out there, my opinion is a little mixed.

I thought the first half of the book was flat out ridiculous. Bella drove me nuts! Any teen aged girl that was used to no attention would be flattered by sudden attention. The way she treated her other admirers was very strange. So what was she waiting for? Edward to come around? And why was she fascinated with him in the first place? Just his shear beauty? In the beginning he was extremely rude to her and then only civil. The way their entire relationship evolved left me spinning, thinking...What? How did this happen? She was attracted only to his looks and he found her to be his "brand of heroin". Yeah, real romantic. And don't even get me started on the seductive nature of it all. I thought it much too "graphic" for the intended audience and a supposed teen relationship. And what was with that first kiss scene? So ridiculous.

The entire mood changed for me the moment the other vampires walked into the forest clearing. I wasn't expecting to get so caught up but, I did. The action and suspense were terrific! I'm a reader (and watcher, for that matter) who gives them self up to the story. I don't try to guess what's coming next. So the twists that Meyer threw in were perfect entertainment for me. I plowed through the second half in less than 24 hours.

Even though the first half was a little torturous, the second half was enough to redeem the novel as a whole. And unfortunately for me, because it was the second half that lured me in, I am now hooked.

Anyone have a copy of New Moon I can borrow?

7 comments:

tweedlediva said...

Hee Hee. I completely agree with your assessment. You can borrow my next 3 books... come on over! lol

Just to be warned, #2 is infuriating...

#3 is pretty intense...

#4 is insanely graphic.

jenafeldman said...

I have all three Erin...if you are coming to book club i'll bring them!

Tara said...

I enjoyed the first book but didn't go crazy about it like the rest of the world. It's been over a year and half since reading Twlight, I have yet to pick up any of the others and doubt I ever will. I'm a nonfiction lover so I think these stories are just too farfectched for my liking.

Cyndi said...

You can borrow mine too! But it seems that the rest of the world has it also!

Erin said...

I totally agree with you about Bella. I really didn't like her. I personally didn't love the second book but the third was entertaining. I have to warn you, though, Bella doesn't get any better.

Lynita said...

It has been so long since I read the first one that I will have to read it again! I am glad that you finally read it though and glad that she pulled you in too, she is definately good at that! Can't wait to see the movie!

Nanci said...

That is so funny! I totally agree with you. I just finished New Moon this morning and I enjoyed it more than Twilight.