Saturday, May 31, 2008

Central Park Challenge

Today we woke considerably early for a Saturday morning and went for a run through Central Park.

We made the 25 mile drive south, played the infamous Manhattan parking game and walked 3 1/2 blocks to participate in the Central Park Challenge.

We had been hearing a lot about rain this weekend but the weather was perfect. The race was very well organized and we enjoyed a very pleasant route of two laps around the lower end of the park. Anna definitely got the best seat in the house as Spencer pushed her in the jogger. She apparently also had many cheers of "Go Baby!" from the event staff as she strolled along.

Our little family at the starting line

My morning run is only 2 miles but thanks to the roller coaster ride that is Harrison Avenue, I was well-trained and the 3.1 miles was a breeze. It turned out to be the most enjoyable 5k I have done!

Spencer and Anna enjoying some post race goodies!

I truly love the racing atmosphere. Everyone always seems to be happy and cheerful while rooting each other on. This one was especially fun. With a play area and junior races for the kids, the theme was decidedly one of family fun.

We gave our heart rates a chance to return to normal by sitting on a bench, eating muffins, bagels and juice and people watching. Afterwards we made our way around the booths and gathered some freebies. It was definitely a wonderful way to spend a Saturday in the city!

8 comments:

Chad said...

Way to go! The park looks beautiful.

Granny said...

What a fun way to spend a Saturday morning. Anna looks so happy to be included in the race.

Jodi Reeve said...

Do you like NY overall? Downsides? Do you plan on being there for a long time?

Tara said...

Totally fun. I think I am finally getting ready to race again. I've also always loved the racing atmosphere but just didn't feel strong enough to race at all last year. Seeing your post makes me wish I was there!

Lynita said...

Yay for you guys! That sounds like so much fun. I think we got all the rain you were supposed to get on Saturday! But it didn't spoil our day at all, I love the warm rain.

Nanci said...

The park is so green. I wish that I could go there. Yay to you for loosing 15 lbs!

Brittany R said...

You really make running sound fun. (I absolutly hate it) Maybe I'll give it a try again someday!

Erin said...

What a fun race venue! We love Central Park and it does look like it was an awesome day for a race. Great job, you guys!