Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Preparation

We did it! We tackled the three month food supply and I'm happy to say, are still alive and still have our sanity!

Spencer and I had been thinking about it for a long time so as soon as our stimulus check arrived, we made our move. It definitely was not easy but inspired by a post by my friend Celia, I decided to list a few things that helped us and lessons we learned.
  • Organization. I made a spreadsheet of foods that could be stored, organizing them by type (protein, veggies, grains, etc.). Then I gave them all a category: Requires Water, Requires Heat Source, Requires Power (power needs to be on in order to store), Requires Nothing. Our plan was to purchase those items that required the least.
  • Research. Should we purchase freeze dried MREs, or the bulk staples from the church? There are a lot of great companies out there that offer a lot of choices. However, they are (in my opinion) VERY expensive. Also, they take up a lot of room, which we don't have. Therefore, our decision was the bulk staples. We also did some comparison shopping at Costco.

There were several conclusions from the above steps: First, you can not be prepared for ALL situations. You just can't, so get over it. You have to decide which ones are the most real to you and your area. For us, it was widespread food shortage and skyrocketing prices. Second, I've always heard "store what your family eats". To me, this is only partially true. You have to come to a realization that during hard times, you will have to eat things you really wouldn't chose to under normal circumstances.

  • Research, continued. With the decision of what to buy decided, we then went about figuring out how much to buy. There is a great calculator on www.providentliving.org. We used that as a guide and added in other things. This does take some time and figuring. The church's site only does the calculations for rice, beans and water. You have to think about how many times one can of vegetables will feed your family and how often you would want to eat them. Once again, I made a spreadsheet.
  • Go and Do! This was the easy part. Spencer spent a Saturday afternoon at the Bishop's Storehouse canning wheat, oats, potatoes, onions and beans. They were out of black beans and powdered milk so we'll have to go back for those. They do not offer powdered eggs or corn meal so we will have to purchase those elsewhere. Next we went to Costco and purchased our "extras". We bought rice, canned fruits and veggies and canned meat and fish and pasta. We also used our money to buy an extra bag of frozen chicken and butter. Our theory is that we would buy an extra one once, keep rotating it and buying another at the normal rate. Then we would always have one on hand. I also keep my eye on the grocery circular. Black beans and canned tomatoes where on sale last week and I bought ten of each. This is one time when it is very true to buy what your family eats. We eat a lot of both so it made sense for us.

We have some water but we still need to get more. We also need to purchase a grill or camp stove and a wheat grinder.

My biggest realization was that you can never be "done" with food storage. We made a big dent but I still need to keep my eye on everything and not get complacent. I had to apply the gospel to be okay with that. It is also true that gathering takes a lot of money. We found that spending the bulk on the big, sustainable items (wheat, rice, beans...) was the way to go. These items typically last for 30+ years. Everything else would be things we normally buy (or wouldn't mind eating) and rotated such as our frozen chicken.

I certainly do not think I know everything about food storage. But, I hope this can help some of you get started as we did.

7 comments:

Jodi Reeve said...

Yeah, this is something I am trying to organize too. I am working on making a "menu" with 28 dinner meals and what I need for each and multiplying that by 13 to find out what I need to store of everything. These are meals we typically eat so my hope is to get the amount and keep that amount by rotatng through everything and buying what I need for each week...but like you said it can be expensive. I have been collecting food, but with no order so we could eat something, but I want to be more organized...and find places to keep it all.

Good for you guys! I do think it is something they have been telling us for years now and there will be a time when we need it...either a personal or greater type of a crisis.

Tara said...

Sounds like a lot of work which is probably why I'm always too overwhelmed with the getting it done. I always try to buy extra at the store but what we do have is not very organized.

Good for you guys!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Very helpful. It would be even more helpful if you could email me that spreadsheet of foods!! =)

Seriously.

Erin said...

Celia, I would love to share my spreadsheet. I just don't have your email.

Granny said...

Good for you! It sounds like you definitely did your homework.

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

silygirl269 (aaaatttt) yahoo (dooot)com. (only 1 "L" in sily...silly I know.) Thanks!

Lynita said...

I am so proud of you and I will certainly be working on that over the next year myself!