At 1 am this morning I was awaken by an intruder. He was on the other side of the bed, reaching across Spencer and grabbing me by the arms and shoulders. I was trying to push him away while literally screaming bloody murder. I was terrified!
Then I heard a calm but very firm voice say, Honey! Yeah, the "intruder" was Spencer. Please tell me I had some of you going.
This is not the first time I've had an overly vivid dream that someone was in my room. While visiting my sister once, I thought there was someone on the other side of the bed and started scurrying as quickly as possible to get out of the room. My legs got tangled in the covers and I ended up face-planting onto the floor!
To my defense, situations like this have not happened in awhile and Spencer is the one that has had issues these days. When I roll over, he very frequently will reach over and grab me. He thinks I'm the baby falling off the bed (although she has never once slept in our bed). I've gotta hand it to him for being a protective father but it does get a little bothersome. Neither one of us knows for sure what sparked last night's episode. It could be that he was sleepily trying to keep me from "falling off the bed" and I was so deep in sleep that I thought he was an attacker. Or it could be that I was just so tired that my dreams became real.
In any case, by the time he finally got me to snap out of it I was close to hyperventilating and shaking like a leaf! We were both worried that my intense screaming had woken up the neighbors but we didn't receive any late night visits or inquiries from the police. Actually, I'm not sure that's good or bad.
I was finally able to calm down and go back to sleep. But not without a hand resting on my husband's chest. I'm hoping I don't have another run-in with an intruder anytime soon.
11 comments:
I haven't had any nightmares about intruders, but I do get bad ones about other things. In high school I slept walked a lot and a few times I would get up and shower, get ready for seminary the whole time thinking, "I am really tired," when to only find out it would be 1 or 2 am and I could go back to bed. When I worked at catering I would wake up carrrying serving trays and talking t guests (according to my roomates).
I've had dreams like that. They are awful! I hope you guys don't have any repeats of that any time soon.
how scary!
that has happened to me before - hate that! Glad you are ok!! :)
OK. That had me freaked out! I am glad it was only Spencer. Don't do that to me!
Well no, you didn't have me going but that is still a scary story anyway. Hope your future nights are more restful.
Yeah you totally had me going! I hate those dreams, I had them a lot as a teenager!
So scary!!!!!! Good luck with avoiding a repeat of that experience.
I'm sorry Erin, this must have been such an aweful feeling to go through. But I have to say that you had me laughing out loud. It was really a funny story.
Britt,
Yeah, it is funny...now! :)
But, if you remember, I'm kind of a scaredy cat. That time that looney-toon with the Scream mask came running at us in the Smith's parking lot is one of my favorite stories to tell.
So when I was at BYU, my roommate came in while I was asleep, and I was sure he was an -- get this -- an alien. So I grabbed my pillow and started swinging it violently back and forth to keep him back. I think I scared him more than he scared me.
Yep. You had me going. If I get home late and Andrea is asleep I try my best to not wake her up because there is just no good way to do it. It's either rude with a bright light or too scary in the dark saying "wake up".
Post a Comment